MEDA Mentorship Connection
MEDA's Emerging Leaders Network is pleased to offer the MEDA Mentorship Connection program.
Through the program, emerging leaders with an active interest in a career in economic development will have the opportunity to spend time with a mentor, learning about economic development in Michigan. Early-career economic developers can explore other areas within the field to gain a better understanding of how to create successful partnerships with them. The goal of this volunteer program is to be mutually beneficial for both parties and to foster long-term relationships.
Benefits of participating for the mentor:
- Renews enthusiasm for the economic development profession
- Obtain a greater understanding of the different challenges and barriers experienced with emerging leaders entering the economic development profession
- Enhances skills in coaching, counseling, listening, and leadership
- Demonstrates expertise and shares knowledge of the core economic development competencies
- Helps identify and correct generational issues
- Because it is our duty to help the next generational workforce!
Benefits of participating for the mentee:
- Gain career development opportunities
- Help with the transition to a full-time career
- Opportunity to share new and different perspectives
- Be inspired to pursue a career in economic development
- Get a better understanding of what additional knowledge, skills or training is needed to pursue a career in economic development
You Get a Coupon!
Because it is important to further introduce emerging leaders to the profession and reward mentors for their time, all mentor and mentee participants will get a coupon to attend one of our day programs - Capitol Day, either Toolbox or the Emerging Leaders Spring Training. The coupon can also be used for a discount off of the Annual Meeting or the Economic Development Basic Course.
Who Can Participate
Anyone with an active interest in an economic development career can participate.
Typical candidates include, but are not limited to, the following:
- college students
- those in the early stages of their career in economic development that want a better feel for work in other areas of the industry
When You Can Participate
This program is open all year.
How to Participate